Workers’ compensation insurance provides protection to employers and employees. It is a great benefit that enables you to get benefits if you suffer an injury on the job in Pennsylvania. While the law requires most employers to carry this insurance, you may end up in a situation where your employer does not have it. If that happens, you may want to look to the Uninsured Employer Guaranty Fund, which the Pennsylvania Bulletin explains is a fun that provides benefits to employees whose employers do not have workers’ compensation.

The fund has similar requirements to workers’ compensation. You have to have an on-the-job injury that qualifies for benefits. You also must follow specific guidelines for applying for benefits or risk a denial of your claim. Note that you must file two forms to make a claim with the fund.

To begin with, you must first try to make a workers’ compensation claim just to be sure your employer does not have coverage. Once you discover that your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance, you have 45 days to submit a notification to the Department of Labor and Industry. To do this, you must use the Notice of Claim Against Uninsured Employer form.

After filing the notification form, you have to wait 21 days to file a claim with the fund. When you file, you must use the Claim Petition for Benefits from the Uninsured Employer Guaranty Fund form. You must file this form. The claim you file initially with workers’ compensation will not go to the Department of Labor and Industry. This information is for education and is not legal advice.